At MIS, students study the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Career-related Programme (CP), which is designed for students between the ages of 16-19, and draws on the academic rigour of the core IB model in combination with career-related study and real-world experience.
The programme comes in three parts: courses from the IB’s Diploma Programme (DP), the CP core and career-related study.
Students are required to take a minimum of two courses from the IB’s traditional DP. The idea behind this is to provide a theoretical basis to the CP, giving a solid grounding in the IB’s core academic subjects including sciences, mathematics and the arts, among others.
To complement and provide context to students’ DP courses, the CP core emphasises experiential learning to develop their personal and professional skills. It aims to equip students with the necessary interpersonal and problem-solving abilities which are not only desirable in the workplace, but also ensure their adaptability to an ever-evolving world. This is achieved through four interconnected areas of study:
- Personal and professional skills: This focuses on developing students’ attitudes and interpersonal skills in readiness for the workplace.
- Service learning: A research-based module where students apply what they’ve learnt to a community need.
- Reflective project: This is an in-depth piece of work which is designed as a reflective analysis of students’ career-based learning, based around identifying and analysing an ethical issue which has arisen during the course.
- Language development: In keeping with the IB’s international status, this module demands that students develop their communication skills in a second language.
The third part is the vocational industry-related study, in conjunction with an external industry partner.
The business focussed Career-related Programme educational framework at MIS will consist of:
- Courses from the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme – students take Diploma Courses in Business Management, English Language and Literature, plus a third option (free choice) delivered online, at either higher or standard level. The courses are delivered online via Pamoja Education, which is the International Baccalaureate’s exclusive partner for Diploma Courses.
- Career-related studies
- Business and Hospitality is delivered in partnership with Swiss Education Group (SEG); students are awarded a professional Certificate in Business and Hospitality Management
- Business and Digital Marketing is delivered through the BTEC programme and students are awarded the BTEC Diploma in Business (Digital Marketing)
With these CP awards in hand students have a world of opportunities in front of them with numerous pathways to renowned higher education institutions.
- The Career-related Programme core – supports both the IB academic courses and the career-related study, designed to develop personal and professional attributes through:
- a personal and professional skills course
- service learning
- a language development course
- a reflective project
More information on the Career-related Programme can be found here.