MIS is a Candidate School* for the Career-related Programme. This school is pursuing authorization as an IB World School. These are schools that share a common philosophy—a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that MIS believes is important for our students.
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme, or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org
At MIS, students will study the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Career-related Programme (CP), which is designed for students between the ages of 16-19, and draws on the academic rigour of the core IB model in combination with career-related study and real-world experience. The programme comes in three parts: courses from the IB’s Diploma Programme (DP), the CP core and career-related study.
Students are required to take a minimum of two courses from the IB’s traditional DP. The idea behind this is to provide a theoretical basis to the CP, giving a solid grounding in the IB’s core academic subjects including sciences, mathematics and the arts, among others.
To complement and provide context to students’ DP courses, the CP core emphasises experiential learning to develop their personal and professional skills. It aims to equip students with the necessary interpersonal and problem-solving abilities which are not only desirable in the workplace, but also ensure their adaptability to an ever-evolving world. This is achieved through four interconnected areas of study:
- Personal and professional skills: This focuses on developing students’ attitudes and interpersonal skills in readiness for the workplace.
- Service learning: A research-based module where students apply what they’ve learnt to a community need.
- Reflective project: This is an in-depth piece of work which is designed as a reflective analysis of students’ career-based learning, based around identifying and analysing an ethical issue which has arisen during the course.
- Language development: In keeping with the IB’s international status, this module demands that students develop their communication skills in a second language.
The third part is the vocational industry-related study, in conjunction with an external industry partner.
Why choose the CP?
The CP offers students a plethora of advantages through its personalised, interdisciplinary approach to learning. The course is tailored to students’ interests and strengths, encouraging self-confidence and fostering an enjoyment in learning.
This focus on student-centric learning is embodied through the programme assessment, which is mostly in the form of project-based coursework. This gives students the opportunity to tailor their own studies to issues and areas that they enjoy, rather than pigeon-holing them into learning subjects by rote for examinations. The course takes a progressive step in recognising that not all students respond well to traditional exams; many are more likely to excel through project work.
The exposure of students to authentic real-world learning situations develops an understanding and appreciation of the work-place, and their chosen industry more generally. Linking academic-based classes with practical examples means that students see their learning as relevant to the problems and issues of the outside world and their future life, helping to broaden their horizons. It also exposes them to areas of work that they may realise they have a talent for.
The beauty of the CP course is that it can prepare students for a wide variety of options after high school. The programme is designed to develop a transferable and life-long skillset which prepares students to go on to further education, apprenticeships, or straight into employment.
The business focussed Career-related Programme educational framework at MIS will consist of:
- Courses from the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme – students will take Diploma Courses in Business Management, English Language and Literature, plus a third option (free choice) delivered online, at either higher or standard level. The courses will be delivered online via Pamoja Education, which is the International Baccalaureate’s exclusive partner for Diploma Courses.
- Career-related studies
- Business and Hospitality will be delivered in partnership with Swiss Education Group (SEG); students will be awarded a professional Certificate in Business and Hospitality Management
- Business and Digital Marketing will be delivered through the BTEC programme and students will be awarded the BTEC Diploma in Business (Digital Marketing)
With these CP awards in hand students have a world of opportunities in front of them with numerous pathways to renowned higher education institutions.
- The Career-related Programme core – supports both the IB academic courses and the career-related study, designed to develop personal and professional attributes through:
- a personal and professional skills course
- service learning
- a language development course
- a reflective project
A world of opportunities
The detailed knowledge, skills and understanding gained from studying Diploma Courses, the Career-related Programme core and the industry-related study provide opportunities for:
- Employment: the transferrable skills fostered in the personal and professional skills course, combined with the specific knowledge and skills developed by students in their career-related studies, provide an opportunity for students to move directly into employment in their chosen field.
- Apprenticeships: apprenticeship schemes are available in many countries where students are given on-the-job training as well as classroom instruction in a particular craft or trade.
- Further education: students may wish to continue their education at educational institutions that specialise in their chosen field of study.
- Higher education: the combination of career-related qualifications with the knowledge and skills obtained from studying International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme courses, opens doors for students at renowned higher education institutions across the world.
More information on the Career-related Programme can be found here.